Friday, July 3, 2015

Part of the Posse

Wow! Ever have one of those times where words just don't fit?  For those of us who write, it's kind of an odd feeling.  But, that's how I feel this morning.  I woke up  to indulge myself in reading all my favorite blogs and see that I have been added to Margo Moon and Starr Ann's Posse over at the Starr Ann Chronicles!

I've watched Margo and Starr Ann over the fences for awhile, and always see the flickerglow in the their window, but being a little shy, hadn't quite made my way to the stables for a proper hello. 

This past weekend, a mutual friend with a capital F helped me meet Miss Margo, and what a pleasure it was. So to wake up this morning.... with me and my horse Bolero, as members of the posse... overwhelming.  So much so that Bolero and I went for a morning ride, just to reflect on the new year, new friends, new beginnings.  

We rode out, not to far... and we weren't going to be long...so I didn't even bother with a saddle or a bit... I just used his halter and lead rope as a makeshift headstall and reigns.  Bolero's walking gait is always smooth. Long, slow strides that just rock you into the center of yourself and your surroundings. I just let my head bob, and back sway in unison with his as we walked to his favorite spot.

It's a spot... just on the edge of town, where the city fades away to the north and prairies open to the south.  With the morning sun rising in the East, he turns... to face West... stops... throws his head back and snorts... white billowing breath like a steam engines release from his nostrils... horse-speak for  "We're Here".  

He shifts his weight to the left and so do I.  We just sit there in the quiet... looking across the barren, frosted field to the mountains dipped in snow.  

We let the rising sun warm our backs while a chilly wind tickled my nose and played in Bolero's mane.  

"I'm happy...", I whispered to Bolero. 

His head came back to the side and he gently tapped my leg with his nose... as if to say... 

"Let's RIDE!"

No comments:

Post a Comment